Who We Are
Beutel, Goodman & Company Ltd. is a privately owned, independent Canadian investment manager. We are dedicated to creating long-term wealth for our institutional, private wealth and retail clients by helping them achieve their investment objectives.
Our fundamental bottom-up value investment philosophy is grounded in a highly disciplined proprietary research process, with a focus on capital preservation, absolute risk reduction and downside protection in declining markets.
We respect our clients, and recognize that investing is about more than numbers. At the core of our business are employees motivated by a desire to earn the confidence and trust of our clients. As an independent firm that is majority-owned by employees, our interests are aligned with yours. Your success is ultimately our success.
What Makes Us Different
- Our bottom-up value investment philosophy, which is grounded in diligent proprietary research, concentrated high-conviction portfolios and a highly-disciplined buy/sell process.
- Our focus on avoiding the permanent loss of capital, which permeates all aspects of our thinking.
- Our independence and ownership culture, which aligns our interests with those of our clients.
- Our five decades of growth stands as a strong example of stability in an industry that has been characterized by constant change.
Five Decades of Success and Counting
In 1967, while Canada was celebrating its 100th birthday, Montrealers Austin Beutel and Ned Goodman – two talented and experienced entrepreneurs – were busy establishing Beutel, Goodman & Company Ltd. From its beginnings as a private, independent investment firm, Beutel Goodman has evolved over the past 50 years to become one of Canada’s largest and most respected independent money managers.
Our successful track record is rooted in our unwavering value investment philosophy that allows us to deliver attractive risk-adjusted returns to our clients, while protecting their capital in volatile markets. We continue to buy high quality companies at compelling valuations and maintain a highly-disciplined buy/sell process.
Through five decades our firm has grown both in size and scope as we continually evolve and adapt to the changing needs of our clients. Today, we offer a carefully crafted selection of investment solutions built upon our strong in-house investment capability and delivered by dedicated professionals focused on servicing the institutional, high net worth private client and financial advisor communities.
We operate with complete independence, with 51% of the firm broadly owned by our employees. Affiliated Managers Group (AMG), a publicly traded U.S. based asset management holding company, indirectly owns the remaining 49% minority interest in our business.
Over time, our clients have benefitted from long-standing employees who, as stakeholders in the firm, are committed to our shared success.